Storage Tips for an Easy Move
Primo Storage suggest the following tips to make the moving and storage of goods that much easier
Choosing Your Storage Space
- Contact Primo Storage to find out what size units are available and vacancy information. Remember the summer months are the busiest.
- Choose the unit size & either climate controlled or unheated storage that best meets your needs. Climate controlled units offer superior storage. The insulated unit offers space at a temperature no lower than 50° F in winter and no higher than 75° in summer. The fan continuously ventilates the space 24 hours a day, every day.
- Meet with staff and discuss the price, deposit and rental agreement.
- Ask about security features of the facility - video surveillance, security gates & access.
- Retain a copy of the contract, contact information, as well as the hours of operation for the facility.
- Inspect the unit that you will be renting. It will be clean, well maintained and secure.
- Make a list of all items you plan to store.
- Gather boxes and packing supplies. Remember that you may need large boxes for lamps and other decorations, plastic sheets for covering furniture, china cartons for dishes and bubble wrap/fill paper for packing valuables.
- Make arrangements for transporting your items to the storage facility.
- Use only sturdy boxes and containers for storing your items.
- Label all containers and boxes. Identify which room the contents belong in. It makes unpacking easier.
- Fill containers to capacity and fill in space with packing material.
- Pack heavier items in small boxes.
- Secure mirrors, paintings and pictures in mirror boxes and pack them on edge.
- Disassemble lamps, tables, barstools and other furnishings as applicable. Wrap pieces individually and store securely in boxes.
- Wrap wooden table legs and chairs to avoid scratches.
- Cover sofas with plastic wrap or sheets so that they do not gather dust, and stack them on end.
- Cover dressers with sheets or plastic wrap so you can stack boxes on top.
- Fill drawers and appliances with small items to conserve space.
- Pack books flat and avoid placing them directly on the unit floor.
- Wrap dishes and other breakables individually, layering padding at the top and bottom of the box.
- Clothing is best stored clean and in hanging cartons. These are available through Primo Storage.
- Place items in the order that you will need to access them---those that will be readily used should be placed in the front of the storage unit.
- Before moving in pieces of large furniture, cover the ground with blankets or sheets.
- Do not lean furniture against outside walls.
- Place tabletops on edge(remember to lay the blanket or sheet on the ground to avoid scratching).
- Leave appliance doors cracked open so that moisture does not build within.
- Do not store food - this will attract mice and other pests.
- Arrange boxes so that the labels are facing out and easily read.
- Stack boxes in a manageable manner. Put large, heavy boxes on the bottom.
- Leave a walkway so that you can access your items as needed.
- The storage of toxic waste, hazardous materials, explosives, firearms, live animals, drugs or any illegal or stolen items is strictly prohibited.
- Remove the top boxes first. Careful--boxed items may have shifted after a prolonged period of time.
- Remove all of your belongings.
- Sweep out the unit and dispose of any trash.
- Have the manager do a walk through inspection to insure that there is no dispute over damages.
- Secure the unit. Make sure the door is completely shut.
- Take your lock with you.